A sample text widget

Etiam pulvinar consectetur dolor sed malesuada. Ut convallis euismod dolor nec pretium. Nunc ut tristique massa.

Nam sodales mi vitae dolor ullamcorper et vulputate enim accumsan. Morbi orci magna, tincidunt vitae molestie nec, molestie at mi. Nulla nulla lorem, suscipit in posuere in, interdum non magna.

We’ll get out of here. Sometime.

A day of ups and downs. I first went ashore to ask the marina manager to talk to Fed Ex to find out what was up. Fed Ex told him that they couldn’t find the place on Monday and that’s why nothing had been delivered. Note that the marina is on the only road into Puntarenas and has it’s name emblazones on a 2 meter high sign over the entrance. Fed Ex seem now to employ blind drivers.

I hadn’t mentioned that on Monday I had spent an hour waiting in the Banco de Costa Rica to pay one of the fees necessary to leave the country. I was following the instructions given to me by the marina manager but the bank officials sent me away with some incompatible instructions and some bits of paper. I had told the marina manager my experience and today he sent me with one of his staff to explain things. We again went to the bank and spent about half an hour waiting by a door only to be not let into the back office and told to get a ticket like everyone else. My ticket was number 49. Why most of the 50s, 60s and 70s were called before my number 49 I have no idea but after 80 minutes of playing with my thumbs I got to argue my point with the same guy that sent me out yesterday. This time I had Markos on my side who explained everything and soon I had the appropriate receipt following, of course, the appropriate handover of Colonies – the local currency.

The next stop, to pay for my zarpe, was a breeze. We went into the municipal building and following some more colonies handed over I now had a receipt for my zarpe (clearance papers). At this point Markos and I parted company. Markos indicated that I did not have to go to Caldera to immigration and that I was now free to leave. Feeling relieved I had less to do than I thought I tipped him well. During this time Helen and John had been really busy cleaning the topside of the boat which was getting dirty after all these days in Puntarenas.

Back on the boat we had a quick lunch before Helen and I went out for our almost final provisioning. We brought back all the food and put it away (at least Helen did) before realizing we had forgotten the bread of all things. At 4pm I had 1 hour before I had to hand the car back so I whizzed off into the main shopping area and picked up the bread. I decided to wait ashore for the guy who was coming to collect the car. While waiting the marina manager came to me with the ‘package’. My spirits were high. Could we really be off in the morning?


The ‘package’ was just the paperwork and no pump. The manager called Fed Ex to say that the pump had been held by customs and I needed to go to San Jose to clear it. Why they were unable to tell us this in the morning when I could have used the car I don’t know. I went outside and found the guy who had come to collect the car and asked if I could keep it one more day. This turned out ok. In my conversations with the marina manager I also learned that what I had been told by his chap was incorrect and that I still had to visit immigration and customs, etc.

So. We’re not leaving in the morning. I’m off around 6am to drive to San Jose to sort out this pump which I’m beginning to wish I’d never ordered (and Helen saying she told me so). I’ll come back and do immigration in Puntarenas and pick up our propane. I think I have to go to Caldera to get my zarpe but I’ll review that once I’ve done immigration. There is a small possibility I could be done with all this and out before dusk tomorrow but that is a slim hope.

Life on a boat.

Leave a Reply