Isla Jicarita

We set off at dawn yesterday for our sail to Isla Jicaron. We found the wind to be blowing around 12 knots from the north east so to arrive before sunset we broke out the code zero and were soon making good progress. We strung 4 trolling lines off the back of the boat not suspecting the activity we would see. Before reeling them in to curtail any further action we caught 9 fish, 4 bonitos (I think), 1 spanish mackerel (I think) plus four mahi mahi, two of which escaped the hook before being landed. At one point we had three fish on the lures at once. The two mahi mahi we caught were on the smaller side, one being 6 pounds and the second around 7.5 pounds. John did a good job of fileting them both. We also saw plenty of dolphins along the way.

Throughout the trip we were subject to changing currents. At times we had to point up to 25 degrees off our course to keep moving in the right direction. Sometime, when distracted by a fish for just a short while, we’d find the current had shifted and we were now half a mile off course. Eventually the wind died down, shifted round to the west (ahead of us) and the current settled into a 2 knot disadvantage which we had to motor through. We adjusted our final destination to the cut between Isla Jicaron and Isla Jicarita to the south as the diving here is supposed to be good and we can visit the originally intended anchorage on our way out of here.

We arrived just over an hour before sunset at a beautiful and secluded location, not another soul in sight. There was a half a knot current coming through the cut but the reef on the far side protected us from the swell and chop. We quickly settled in and tucked into one of the mahi mahi filets which we grilled for dinner.

Our plan was to stay here a couple of nights so we have a full days R&R in this spot before shifting round to the north of Isla Jicaron. Sadly we may have to review this plan. Overnight the wave direction seems to have shifted round to the NE while the current is still pushing us from the west. The combination made for an uncomfortable night and I don’t think anyone got a full nights sleep. Unless things calm down here we may not even be able to take the dinghy ashore but we’ll wait and see. Chances are we’ll shift north sometime today. The anchorage on the north side of Isla Jicaron should receive better protection.

INSERT_MAP

Posted in Panama | Leave a comment

Ensenada Naranjo

Shortly after my last blog we picked up some unexpected winds out of the south west. I think it was a result of the air curling over the mountains to our north. This allowed us to press on west sailing practically all the way to Ensenada Naranjo. 2-3 miles short of our destination the winds died down to less than 4 knots so we motored the rest of the way. This is a pretty anchorage but all we’ve done is take pictures and rest. Today we’ll press onto Isla Jicaron south of Isla Coiba. We’re currently a degree closer to the doldrums/equator than we were previously which probably explains the decreased wind and the warmer air.

INSERT_MAP

Posted in Panama | Leave a comment

Left Early

It turned out that where we had anchored was not the best place we’d anchored. As we reached low tide, rocks appeared between us and the beach, well within swing range should the wind change. John and I went into the water to investigate. Rather than dropping our anchor on a sandy slope, as we’d thought, we’d dropped it on an irregular rocky shelf. Not only that, the chain was tucked under another rock. The latter was easy enough to fix but the situation, while stable, was a little worrisome. The weather forecast called for a constant northerly. This was good but we didn’t know if local currents could cause the boat to swing.

We swam for a little longer as the outcrop made for a good attraction for the local fish. There were lots of the bumpy headed Pacific parrot fish, eels and John saw a large ray. All of a sudden the fish cleared off and we began to get stung a lot. John was more sensible as he cleared out of the water immediately. I hung around a little longer only to discover the rate at which I was being stung by, presumably, the jelly fish larvae jumped up.

To keep the boat safe we dug out our stern anchor and took that out in the dinghy dropping it about 100ft from the boat. We then lowered the headsail so we could start sewing the patch of the sun cover that was coming off. We took a break in all this to visit the cave around the corner. This time, the tide was now too low and a rocky floor prevented us from entering. Oh well.

Having exhausted the possibilities of the area and given that the wind was up, I decided we may as well leave as soon as we could and see how far we could get sailing, picking our next destination based on conditions the following morning. I finished the stitching and we raised and furled the head sail. As it was still shortly after low tide we didn’t want to approach the rocks to raise the anchor so I got the job of walking it off the rocks. Underwater. Wearing my dive boots I was able to swim down, pick it up and walk it across the rocks, jumping over gaps where need be and moving the chain to avoid wraps around rocks. It took a few goes to get it somewhere deep enough.

John and I then retrieved the stern anchor, put it away, raised the dinghy and secured it for travel. We were off just before lunch which we had on the move.

A couple of hours into the trip we caught a couple of fish at the same time. One looked like a small tuna which we kept and fileted. Unfortunately the meat looked far to red to be palatable so it was tossed. The other fish, similar to the one we had eaten recently, we let go too.

Shortly before sunset we caught another fish, this time an 11 pound mahi mahi on the lure we caught a mahi on in the Caribbean (given to us by Bees Knees). This fish had a lot of fight in it and gave us a challenge as it tangled up with our other lines. We managed to get it aboard though. I could get the lure out of it’s mouth so I clipped it to a line through it’s lower jaw, gave it a quick couple of cuts to let it bleed and put it back in the water having unclipped the lure to untangle some of the other lines. This was a big mistake as when I pulled the fish back aboard the lure had gone. Damn.

The consolation was a tasty mahi mahi dinner that evening with bread made freshly using energy captured from regeneration.

The winds continued to blow in the 15-20 knot range up until my 12am to 3am shift during which they died off to around 10 knots or so. I shook out the reef we had in the main to maintain boat speed. At this point in time (7:20am) our current position, speed and conditions suggest landfall at Ensenada Narango early this afternoon. More distance land falls run the risk of placing our arrival at night. In 19 hours of sailing we’ve covered approximately 115nm.

We’ve just been visited by a pod of around 40 dolphins which were grey and white speckled. This is the first time we’ve seen dolphins with those markings.

INSERT_MAP

Posted in Panama | Leave a comment

Isla San Jose

We set off fairly early from Rio Cacique in very light winds. The forecast had said 15-20 knots which would have made for fine sailing. It was possible the land was sheltering us and as we had no incentive to stay we headed off. We pottered along on battery power for about an hour with sails up doing very little. The winds picked up to around 8-10 knots so we shut down the motors and sailed very slowly around the southern end of Isla Del Rey. We then motored the final leg to Concholon Bay. As we entered the bay we took a good look and were unimpressed so, without dropping anchor, we turned and headed over to Isla San Jose lunching on freshly baked bread sandwiches on the way.

We anchored in an area close to a cave where we can, alegedly, dinghy in. As we passed the cave we took a look with the binoculars and decided our cave visit should be during low tide this morning. John and I went for a snorkel. The water isn’t crystal clear here but it’s much clearer than before. It is also, in places, a lot cooler. We saw plenty of fish around a rocky area. The underwater topography was fascinating with lots of ledges, overhangs and small canyons. No lobsters to be found though so we remain patient on that front.

The rest of the afternoon was spent relaxing. Ta’ee showed up with another boat and they took off (with their kids, 7 & 9) to explore. They stopped by on the way back having been unable to enter. They had now come to the same conclusion as us in that low tide would be better.

We’re going to hang around this are for another day. The sun cover on our head sail needs some stitching which I can hopefully do. We’ll explore the cave at low tide and I’ll go snorkeling for lobsters again around the same time. Weather permitting we’ll leave here around 3am tomorrow morning and head over to the area around Isla de Coiba. Our actual destination will be dependant on the weather and the time of day at our arrival. We could be sailing anywhere between 150nm to 200nm so this should be roughly two days and one full night of sailing. However, if we encounter currents and/or really light winds it could easily be more.

INSERT_MAP

Posted in Panama | Leave a comment

Up the river

Yet another attempt at snorkeling yesterday and yet again, terrible visibility. I tried a few locations – all the same. On the way back I picked up John and we went ashore just after low tied to mess around on the sand where the river comes out. While there we met John from Taee. Turns out we’ve been in each others vicinity a few times. First time was back in Isla Grande the day before the kids arrived. We were at the same anchorage at La Playita for a while in Panama City. They’ve recognised our boat each time. I think I had a brief chat with his wife, Lucy, at La Playita. Now we’ve met up. We agreed an exchange of information later in the day as we have roughly similar plans, at least out to Tahiti, although they will leave for the Galapagos well ahead of us. The next few days we may well be in the same anchorages.

High tide was at 4pm so shortly before 3pm we dinghied a short way up the river, cut the engine and allowed the tidal flow to take us upstream using the oars to keep us (or at least try to keep us) out of the way of dangling branches, roots, etc. It was quite peaceful drifting upriver, the peace occasionally being broken by the squawking of parrots and calls of other birds. The river became narrower and narrower although the speed at which we were heading upstream never diminished. We eventually came to a point 2 miles in where the river being about 15 feet wide was jammed with logs and branches. We about turned and headed back under power as the river was still filling and flowing backwards. We tried another branch of the river but this didn’t take us too far. We had the GPS with us so one day I’ll be able to post our tracks up the river.

Back on the boat we again met John from Aiee so we could exchange notes. That was about it. We have started watching “The Wire” in the evenings as we have all five series with us. Good stuff.

Today our plan is to head around to the west side to a little bay called Concholon Bay and, if the holding is good, stay there the night. If not we’ll press on to Isla San Jose off to the west.

Looking further ahead we’ve decided to push ahead and arrive in Costa Rica a little earlier than planned. Whether or not we get there earlier is another thing but if we do it gives us the opportunity to be a little further north when Ella arrives (making their travels from San Jose shorter and easier) and perhaps gives us a good opportunity to have one of Helen’s friends (now living in Costa Rica) aboard while the cabin is vacant.

Posted in Panama | Leave a comment