NZ->Fiji Day 5

Img_0314

Another deliberately slow day. Paul helped me raise the Code Zero early morning and we spent most of the day plodding along, enjoying the warm weather and chatting. I put the fishing line with a cedar plug lure and gave Paul the choice of lures to put on the hand line. He chose the pink one and it came up trumps late afternoon when we pulled in a nice mahi mahi (as you can see from the picture). The mahi was duly fileted, most being frozen but plenty for a very fresh, bountiful and delicious dinner.

Before sun set we lowered the Code Zero and put up a reefed main and full head sail. We performed a final analysis of the weather ahead of us and picked a heading for the evening. Over night we’ve alternated between motoring, sailing and often just a slight assist from the batteries.

Talking to the other cruisers in our little fleet heading north people have chosen different tactics to deal with the weather ahead. Some have forged on through hoping to pass in front of the system and deal with the weather on the other side. Some are opting to pass by on the south including one who’s heaved to for the night as they’re further north than us. One or two weren’t so aware of the coming system and are running. This morning and this evening we’ll learn how each of our strategies work out.

At the time of writing we’ve now been sailing for an hour in light winds but fully expecting stronger winds any minute now.

Posted in At Sea | 1 Comment

NZ->Fiji Day 4

Day 4 was very much a recovery day, one where all the crews spirits were lifted. The pounding northwesterlies had shifted to the south and the seas were beginning to subside. Everyone woke up feeling better than on any previous day.

A morning analysis of the coming weather using more detailed forecast downloads revealed more of what was ahead of us. A convergence zone is forming 2-300 miles to our north. North of the zone the winds are messy, often from the north accompanied by precipitation. Not what we’d like to sail through. South of the zone strong southeasterlies are looking to form. Within the zone we can expect heavy rain, thunderstorms and unpredictable winds. A (relatively) low pressure system is forecast to traverse the zone from NW to NE leaving in it’s wake a large extension of the aforementioned southeasterlies. The low pressure systems path/timing is likely to be unpredictable but the presence, position and development of the convergence zone itself is more predictable.

Two choices offered themselves. The first was to push on through and try and get through the zone before the low pressure system really stirs things up then take our chances on the north side which may end up being miserable and lots of motoring. The second choice was to slow right down waiting to pickup the southerly side of the low as it passes and whip around on the west side of it in the developing southeasterlies. The second choice offers the possibility of days of great sailing but at the cost of lost time which in turn translates into a greater gamble on uncertain future weather.

Although it was my decision to make, the crew fully supported the decision to slow down and take it easy. We lowered the main and used the jib only throughout the day and night, even when our boat speed dropped to 2-3 knots. This helped make the day and allowed everyone to recover from the bashing we’d had previously. We ran the genset and made hot water and all had a hot shower. We had the fishing lure out for most of the day but caught nothing. I even buried my head under our bunk to see if I could do anything further with our shaft seal leak which continues to drip away triggering the bilge alarm every hour or so. Our bilge pump goes off with only a small amount of water in the bottom of the bilge so this is more of an annoyance than a threat. My repairs initially succeeded in increasing the drip rate but later I managed to get it back to where it was. For now, I’ll leave it alone. I’m fairly committed now to doing the replacement with the new seal on a beach in Fiji.

I’ve organized a radio net for this wave of boats heading north to Fiji and it runs at 8 in the morning and 8 in the evening. Last night we listened in to see if any one had also adopted the same strategy as us. The Jacksters have abandoned their plans to head for Minerva Reef but apart from that noone else seems to have slowed down. We were in the middle of the pack and now expect to be near the back. Over the few days we’ll learn if the decision was the right one for us. At the moment we’re suffering perhaps from slowing down too early as we’ve been caught by some light winds that I knew were behind us. So we’re now motoring. Once I have this mornings forecasts and know more about the system north of us I can decide what to do next. We have no real need to make a lot of progress just yet so we have options. For now I have adjusted our course to the north north west to avoid the southern reach of the low pressure system per yesterday evenings forecast.

Temperatures have been gradually increasing. The sea temperature is now above 80F. The air temperature has been as high as 26F and not below 20F. (Sorry for the mixed scales). With the wind behind us the 20F feels a lot colder so we still have to wrap up. It’s all going in the right direction.

Posted in At Sea | Leave a comment

NZ->Fiji Day 3

The north westerlies kept it up all day and brought up lumpy seas. The day became quite demanding on the minds and bodies of Dignity’s crew. When we weren’t on shift we were each invariably asleep or lying down to minimise the effects of the constant motion. I did fish for all of about 20 minutes before deciding I really did not want to be handling stinky fish.

In the late afternoon we threaded our way through the first of a number of bands of squalls. This signalled the start of the wind shift to the south west we’d been expecting. In the earlier north westerlies we’d been heading north east. Now we could head directly for a waypoint I’ve set due south of our destination.

Can’t say a lot more as it was just one of those ‘eat, sleep & watch’ days.

Looking ahead we have fairly decent winds for the next 2-3 days before we run into the edge of a convergence zone. Within this zone we can expect a lot of rain, wild winds and thunderstorms. If we slow the boat down we’ll hopefully catch only the southerly edge of this before the zone is replaced by south easterlies which should carry us all the way to Savusavu. So once the crew are up I intend to lower the main and sail on headsail only. With the winds coming around to the south today this will make life easier on us all. We can also run the generator to make hot water for some needed showers.

Posted in At Sea | Leave a comment

NZ->Fiji Day 2

Day 2 the winds died on us. After a while sailing along at 3 knots lost it’s charm so we fired up the genny. The forecast suggested stronger northwesterlies overnight so I motored north expecting to make our desired distance to the east during the north westerly. The weather was generally fine and warm. In fact, our night time temperature has yet to drop below 19C. That may sound nice but one ends up chilly sitting at the helm so layers are necessary.

During the afternoon we had to dodge between a couple of squalls but beyond that the motoring was mundane. The good news was that the seas calmed down. Helen and Paul seem to have recovered well but I’m taking my time.

Overnight the winds did pick up from the NW and since around 1am we’ve been making good progress to the north east averaging around 7 knots. We should have good winds for a while now gradually rotating round to the west then south.

No fishing yet. Helen’s orders were that there was to be none until we have room in the freezer. I like her optimism. Perhaps I’ll fish today as there is now room for a fish the shape of two pizzas.

Posted in At Sea | Leave a comment

NZ->Fiji Day 1

Our departure time was in some doubt due to a threatened early afternoon front. To settle this I was able to listen in to the real time wind measurements around the north island as well as look at the hourly rain radar images from metservice. We were allowed to clear out in the morning even though we were possibly leaving in the afternoon. Having cleared, paid our marina fees and received our duty frees I checked the weather once more. The rain radar showed the rain fizzling out and I could get a good read on how the front was coming over in terms of the effect over time on the various stations. I made the call to leave and by 11am we were off.

We knew the first days passage would be lumpy and it was. We all ended up feeling worse for wear (still do) and only I escaped the fully consequence of sea sickness.

We made good progress despite the choppy seas and at times were sailing nicely between 7 and 8 knots. Overnight the seas have calmed and so have the winds. The new sails are working better than the old in the light winds. Given the state of the crew, I won’t order the Code Zero out unless the wind lightens considerably more.

Our course is taking us slightly east of the direct line to Savusavu. There is a possibility that easterly trades will settle in toward the end of this passage so I want to be on the same longitude as our destination if/when this happens.

Posted in At Sea | Leave a comment